Friday, February 13, 2009

Letting Grow

I know my experience is not unique; all parents have some sense of the fleeting time they have with their children.

Isaac is all grown up to me: about three weeks ago he declined sleeping with his "froggies" and has never gone back. He doesn't even suck his thumb much anymore. I've finally accepted that maybe he doesn't need a nap anymore, either (even if I do). And tonight he did something I never thought would happen: he ate salad with me. I watched in awe as the first leaf of lettuce ever to stay in his mouth was chewed and swallowed. He ate it all! Maybe there's hope for Jared? Nah.

As for Noah, his dropped nap and dropped milk feeding have given me a feeling that babyhood will soon be over. After all, he is one (and boy, can he be a picky eater!).


I confess I do have some comforts despite all of this. Today and yesterday, being the windiest days we've experienced here yet, we went outside for "adventures"-- Isaac still wears and loves his cape. Especially when it blows in the wind. I think he gives hope to all who see him ("Excuse me, is that a superhero?")...what a guy! And Noah is still walking and talking the baby way. It's not what I want for eternity, but I still want to enjoy it. You know?

5 comments:

Writing Group Blog said...

You have such a cute family. Way to go!

Bob said...

I don't think there will ever be hope for Jared...

Carina said...

Hey, Joshua recently dropped one of his naps, too. Now we're lucky if he gets over an hour of sleep during the day. At least he's FINALLY sleeping 12 hours at night, though!

I just realized your list of things Noah says. That's amazing. I think Joshua may be a little behind as far as speech goes, as he has hardly any words he says on a consistent basis. We'll get there...

I know what you mean about letting them grow, though. I know I only have one kid so far, but sometimes I just do a double-take when I realize how grown up he is already. It's hard!

Rachel said...

So maybe you need another baby Laurel! Just kidding. I totally know how you feel though - at least with Tanner. He's totally grown up to me. Now Benjamin - I hope he gets grown up.

Anyway - so are you happy Trevor finally called your sister? I was proud of him. It sounds like they had a pretty good time. . . .

Trace Gibson said...

I LOOOOVE that top picture of Isaac...totally my favorite kind of pic. And the bottom one of Noah (or is it Isaac? ha ha) makes me think he's got a little bit of Brough in him! Ooh these big boys! You're right, time is flying too fast and we need to schedule a visit. Maybe we can bring our new bundle of joy out to D.C. after he's adjusted to breathing air for a while.