Thursday, April 10, 2008

Tender Mercies

I have been meaning to write this for a while, but I think it's still pertinent. For a while, I had been having extra "down" days. It's easy to get stuck in a rut; it happens to us all. But I was thinking this one was extra hard to get out of, and I was feeling particularly alone.
Have your prayers ever sounded like this: "Thanks a lot. Are you listening?" or "A little help would be great about now!" That's how mine were, but it wasn't a humble cry for help; it was definitely prideful.
It took a lot of things to help me out. Those talks after "Music and the Spoken Word seemed to be just for me. There were miracles, too, particularly the one on Easter when Isaac fell off my mother's porch without a single bruise. I was also touched by others' experiences; I realized I wasn't alone.
Eventually it ocurred to me that there were a million ways the Lord was trying to show me that He cares! Wow. I didn't see it until after the fact, but it was like sitting in the dark with a lamp right beside me, if only I would choose to reach out and turn it on (this picture happens to illustrate that, but it's strictly coincidental).


Noah's smiles are a HUGE tender mercy in my life.
So, yes, potty-training is hard. Actually lots of things are hard about having a toddler-- I'm learning to change my parenting with Love & Logic, so I have hope for the future (and that's another story). But look at the blessings! I love my boys. Even if my hair has been thrown into a crummy-looking pony tail and it's obvious I've been crying recently... you can tell that I am happy. Well, I am. It's like M. Russell Ballard said: "the joys of motherhood come in small moments." Live in the moment!


We all have our trials in life. For some of us, it's being a little crazy (that's me); for others, it's having to live with someone who's a little crazy (that's Jared). Whatever our trials are, they are there to strengthen us, and He knows we can do it.
What tender mercies have you been given today?

5 comments:

A new Flight Attendant, said...

Thanks, I needed to read that. I appreciate you writing about this, so I know I'm not alone. Not that I would want you to have "down days", it's just nice to know that I'm normal and that I CAN snap out of it.
Love and miss you guys TONS!!!

Trace Gibson said...

Man, what a great post. I look up to you so much Laurel. Conference helped me get out of a "rut" too. I've been bitter about in-laws and pridefully judging others for their negativity and have needed a slap to the back of my head to get me to notice all my amazing blessings. My "tender mercies" are having Adam and Kennedy in my life (I really don't deserve such a perfect daughter and husband) and having family like you to love and instruct and inspire me in my life. I may not see eye-to-eye with my MIL, but I KNOW I chose my sibblings and parents before I came here. I'm so blessed

Laura said...

I will always wonder how and why we get into those "dark days" or moods. Being a mom is probably the hardest job on earth and I'm positive that is why Elder Ballard spoke to just moms-and I'm sure I am not the only mom out there who cried through the entire talk! And just so you know I think you are an amazing person and a great mother...two year olds and even one year olds have minds of their own-which after riding in the car with one who is poopy and screaming because there are no more fruitloops, you wonder if someone else wants them...but it seems like it just takes one hug or snuggle to realize you wouldn't trade that child for anything in the world!

Writing Group Blog said...

Thank you for sharing that! You're so awesome and I love you.

Claudia said...

I loved that talk by Elder Ballard too. It spoke directly to my heart. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who loves being a Mom but definitely struggles. Your boys are precious and like you said it's the small moments that count. Thanks for the reminder!