Saturday, November 20, 2010

Sentimental

I'll be the first to admit it: I'm sentimental. Very sentimental. On Monday Jared and I will have been married for SEVEN YEARS and I can't believe what I've gotten away with since then. Sure, there's the fact that he's awesome and that he puts up with ME...but today I discovered something else: I have kept stuff for way too long. The sentimental stuff.

I don't know what to do with it. It's like I'm throwing away memories if I get rid of it; but keeping it isn't doing anyone any good. Much of it I've kept since I was a child, thinking I'd give it to my little girl, if I ever had one. Now that I have one, I realize that I probably won't give it to her (she probably wouldn't want it anyway). Good old Amberie, a former roommate, told me once to take a picture and let it go. So that's what I did. I just want my parents and sisters to know how much each music box, jewelry box, statuette and figurine meant to me. Their love was the reason I've kept everything for so long, but I took a picture and I'm letting go.

Now, what to do with the wedding dress?

(Sheesh, how silly is this post?)

6 comments:

Laurel said...

I am the same way. I have so many things that mean so much to me, and they are just sitting there. I have started putting copies online and burning them to cd. Taking pictures is a great idea though. Really, I should let it all go....

Bob said...

Tiffany made hers into a temple dress.

Writing Group Blog said...

Being sentimental is a good thing, I think. I was so protective of my wedding dress until I tried it on last May and it wasn't as beautiful as I remembered it being (but it still fit!...not anymore...). Styles changed but in my memory it had been so timelessly gorgeous. It was cathartic to realize it wasn't really that gorgeous and I had a much easier time leaving it behind. Good luck with your sentimental purging. Love you!

Carina said...

I completely understand where you're coming from. I think a huge purge is in order for our house...thanks for the idea!

Misty said...

It's not silly! I am so the same way. I have done a big clean out since moving in out our house and it's not easy! I love the photo idea!!

cheyney webb said...

Good idea with the photo. I had kept old dramatic poems that I wrote in high school in boxes at my parents' house. I kept them until I could show them to Ryan and he could know how ridiculous I was/am and then I finally threw them away.

P.S. I am sorry that we missed y'all in Nauvoo. That is a fun place to go! Next time we need to coordinate!