Wednesday, March 29, 2017

December Musicalities

Our stake has a much-loved tradition of performing Handel's Messiah the first weekend each December. I have been privileged to perform in the choir nearly every year. With Jared being gone all the time, it wasn't possible for me to do it this last year, but both the boys wanted to be in the children's choir that sings during the Prelude. I couldn't be more thrilled to have them sing (unless someone else had been giving them rides)! It was sad for me to not be in the big choir with the orchestra playing beautifully and the amazing soloists singing between choir songs, especially because we won't be here for the next 4 or so years. But I treasure the experiences I have had in the past with these wonderful people and this inspired music...and I'm sure someday I'll sing it again. And I thoroughly enjoyed having the boys sing. Ellie wanted to join, and she even attended some practices, but she was too young to officially be in the children's choir.


Isaac is always trying something new, pushing the limits of his coordination a little farther. One endeavor he impressed us with was being able to play two recorders at one time. I tried and tried to upload a video, but it didn't work, no matter how much I trimmed it. Just know that his ambidextrous digits could play Jingle Bells and Hot Cross Buns with both hands, even sticking in some harmony there! Did I tell you about the time he figured out he could play with his nostrils?? Yeah, I'm not borrowing his recorder ever again. Still, a talent is a talent.

Another thing he started this school year was the violin. It's not the best instruction, but you can't beat free lessons. We are proud of him, though. I don't know if it's a blessing or not--but he never practices at home.

Present were several elementary schools' orchestras as well as the hosting middle school's orchestra. Believe it or not, his school's performances were by far the most pleasant-sounding!



No comments: